Menu
Cart 0

Coro Corocraft & Vendome

The Coro Company, which started as the Cohen and Rosenburger jewelry firm in New York City, opened a Providence branch in 1911. In 1929, they moved into a new factory at 167 Point Street, built in the same flat-slab, reinforced concrete style of  construction as the Little Nemo Building, which provided them with the largest  factory in the jewelry business in Providence. Although the  onset of the Great  Depression made this expansion appear ill-timed, the Coro Company survived by becoming the leading manufacturer in the field of costume jewelry in the United  States.

Paradoxically, the Depression of the 1930s stimulated the Providence jewelry industry, as precious jewelry craftsmen applied their skills to the design of cheaper, mass-produced jewelry. By introducing a quality approach, they raised  the production standards of costume jewelry and stimulated its consumption. Coro had been one of the first firms to experiment in costume jewelry, and with its new plant, it was the best equipped to respond to the new demand. It consolidated its early lead and went on to become the biggest  manufacturer of costume jewelry, on into the 1960s.